A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Marvin's Records

Vinyl record collection at student-run CKMS st...
Vinyl record collection at student-run CKMS station at the University of Waterloo. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

        From the title of this post one might expect a story about a store called "Marvin's Records."   My dear friend since high school, Marvin, would love to have owned a record store.  He used to talk about it a lot when we were younger and had more time to dream.  His dream even captivated me.  A record store seemed like a great business to run--selling our favorite things while listening to music all day.  What a dream job that would have been!

         As things turned out, neither one of us ever opened a record store or even worked in one.  I went my way which kept me touring with a stage show for years and then later managing a costume supply company.  Marvin worked a series of jobs mostly in manufacturing industries.  He stayed in Tennessee while my destiny landed me in Los Angeles.  We both married and started families and bought houses to settle down in lives a couple thousand miles from each other--literally worlds apart.  But there was one common bond that remained between us--a love for music.

        In high school, as our friendship developed starting in senior math class where we sat next to each other at the back of the classroom, we began to share our common interest in popular music.  We had both begun collecting records, modestly due to financial constraints, and we'd talk about the music we owned and that which we hoped someday to own.

         As the years went by we both started amassing fair sized collections.   There were some albums that were so essential that we both owned copies.  Then there were the many albums found in cut-out bins or purchased according our individual tastes.  The ones that he had that I didn't--and vice versa--we each took a keen interest in.  Still there are albums of his that I remember listening to that I'd like to hear again but they are difficult to find even on YouTube or Amazon.  Mostly those were the cut-out albums.  I had a good collection of vinyl and Marvin had an equally good collection.  We both took good care of our albums.

          Now I've sold most of my collection and kept my absolute favorites which amounts to maybe 100 to 200 albums.  Trying to downsize you know.  The other day when I was talking to Marvin on the phone, I asked about his record collection.  He said he still had all of his old albums, but, like me, didn't listen to them other than on very rare occasions.   Marvin thought he might decide to start selling them on EBay, but wasn't sure. I know the feeling.  It was hard for me to part with so much of my vinyl.  I still think about some of those albums that got sold.  And I think of Marvin's record collection.  So many hours spent with great music listening.

          If there really were a store called Marvin's Records and my friend Marvin owned it, he could just put his old collection in inventory.  Sure, so much music can be downloaded on a computer or other gadgets that the technology of media storage is evolving to the point where maybe someday there won't be stores that sell recorded music.   However the upside is that vinyl has seen a resurgence and record stores have been opening in many places.  Vinyl still has a lot of fans.

           Maybe there is still hope for Marvin's Records.   Ah, what a great job just listening to music all day while you do the work you do in a record store.   It could happen you know.

            Is there a certain type of store that you've long dreamed of opening?   Have you ever or do you now own a store of any kind?     Do you have a collection of something that you might like to turn into cash?






13 comments:

  1. Well if my husband doesn't go back to work soon I might have to sell off all my collections. I thought about having a store where I could sell my crafts but that will never happen because I don't want to work on weekends. As for records, I have about 300 albums, probably around 500 45s and tons of live Grateful Dead cassettes. I just can't part with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I might need to sell more of my stuff not only just to have the money, but to get rid of stuff. If my wife and I do eventually move I'd rather have less stuff to deal with.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the man that used to have that job here in Fort Wayne- Smoky Montgomery, sadly passed. He is missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, record store jobs are passing as quickly as the older people that have held them for a long time.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee - sadly no collections left ... just one album! Interesting to read about ... I've always wanted to open a restaurant - one day perhaps ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I've thought about a restaurant among many of other things.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. It always touches me deeply to see such long friendships surviving, Lee. Maybe it's because of the distance :) so you don't see each other often, but it is still amazing to see people staying in touch for such a long time. I don't think I've ever had anything lasting so it always amazes me and touches me.

    I always felt best faraway from economy, papers, business and money, so I think I'd feel most natural owning my own designing company, designing everything that I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dezmond, it's good to have long time friends, but sad when we don't get to see them very much. Now we have more means to stay in contact. Being in business for yourself can offer more options for flexibility.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. I always wanted to own a bookstore, preferably one that specialized in mysteries, but it's pretty tough for indie bookstores to survive. I'm getting rid of a bunch of books (again), and some bookcases to discourage more collecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, a bookstore would be nice--I've thought of that as well--but you're right about the survival rate. I think innovation has to come into play with a business that does more than just sell books.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. There are two types of stores that I think would be cool to have: a bookstore and a yarn store. David would love to open a convenience store to show the folks around here how one should be done.

    I have an Etsy store featuring knitted and crocheted items. I guess that is as close as I'll get to a yarn store at this point in my life. And our days of being able to deal with a convenience store are over.

    Aside from the items that we've made for our Etsy store, there aren't any collections here that I'd like to sell. I'm collecting them because I want to keep them. :)

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, you're one step closer to a brick-and-mortar establishment with your Etsy store. Maybe you can combine a number of the ideas you and your husband have. Of course it would take investment though and that's usually the biggest obstacle for starting a business.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lack of any money to invest is generally the main thing stopping us from doing anything. Now, we also have the further limitations caused by David's strokes (back in May). Diabetes is the "gift" that keeps on taking from him and us.
      He will recover from the strokes eventually and we've decided to do what we can with our blogging and writing and promoting our knitting and crocheting as best we can. We're re-prioritizing our lives and what is really important to us. These strokes have given us reason to slow down a bit. David likes to say, "Just relax and let it happen." So, that's what we're trying to do. Whatever will be, will be.

      Have a blessed night!

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird